Iyunade Grace
Chelsea have officially confirmed the signing of Italy defender Marco Palestra from Atalanta in what is Xabi Alonso’s first piece of business since taking over at Stamford Bridge. The Premier League club announced on July 1 that the 21-year-old right-back has put pen to paper on a deal running until 2033. British media reports valued the transfer at around £47 million, with add-ons taking it to that figure from an initial £43 million base fee. Atalanta will also retain a 10 percent sell-on clause, ensuring they benefit if Palestra’s value continues to rise in England.
Palestra arrives in West London after a breakthrough campaign that put him on the radar of Europe’s biggest clubs. Born in Milan on March 3, 2005, the 186cm defender spent 11 years in Atalanta’s academy before making his mark away from Bergamo. He spent the 2025-26 season on loan at Cagliari, where he featured 37 times in Serie A as both a traditional full-back and a wing-back. His performances earned him the Serie A Best Defender award and saw him named Defender of the Year for the campaign, a rare honor for a player still in his early twenties.
His form in Sardinia also translated to the international stage. Palestra made his senior Italy debut in March during the World Cup qualifying play-offs, coming on in the semi-final against Northern Ireland. That appearance signaled his readiness for top-level football and helped push his profile higher just as Chelsea began their search for a new right-sided defender. The club had been looking to refresh a backline that struggled last season on the way to a 10th-place finish.
The move did not come without competition. Reports in Italy indicated that Inter Milan had already reached an agreement with Palestra and were confident of bringing him to San Siro. Chelsea intervened late, however, offering a better overall package in terms of transfer fee and wages. The decision ultimately swayed the player, who said he felt the club’s energy from the first day they showed interest. Alonso’s direct conversations about playing style were also said to be decisive.
Speaking after the deal was confirmed, Palestra expressed excitement about the next step in his career. He described Chelsea as one of the best clubs in the world and said he could not wait to meet the fans, his new teammates, and the manager. He highlighted Alonso’s vision for how the team wants to play as a major factor in his choice. The defender added that joining a squad with so much talent was a motivating prospect as Chelsea prepare for a Premier League rebuild.
From Chelsea’s perspective, Palestra addresses a clear need. Marc Cucurella has already departed for Real Madrid, and the Blues are weighing moves for other defenders such as Crystal Palace’s Maxence Lacroix. Palestra’s versatility will be useful for Alonso, who is expected to deploy him on the right flank but could also use him further forward as a wing-back. His loan spell at Cagliari showed he is comfortable in both roles and can contribute offensively, registering five goal involvements last season.
Atalanta, meanwhile, continue their reputation as a producer of elite defensive talent. Palestra followed a path similar to that of Giorgio Scalvini and Davide Zappacosta before him, coming through the club’s system and moving on for a significant fee after proving himself in Serie A. The Bergamo side’s model of developing and selling at a premium remains intact, even as they lose another young Italian international.
For Chelsea supporters, the signing represents an early signal of intent under Alonso. The club finished a disappointing 10th last term and is looking to reshape the squad quickly. Bringing in a 21-year-old with a Serie A Defender of the Year award and senior international experience suggests a shift toward younger, high-ceiling profiles. If Palestra adapts as quickly as he did in Italy, he could become a long-term fixture on the right side of Chelsea’s defense.
