USA
Olamilekan Abayomi
The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday allowed President Donald Trump’s administration to keep building his $400 million White House ballroom project, at least for now. Chief Justice John Roberts issued an administrative stay that temporarily pauses a lower court order halting most of the work. The move gives the justices more time to review the administration’s emergency request while litigation continues, meaning construction can proceed in the immediate term.
The dispute centers on the East Wing of the White House, which the administration demolished last year to make way for a 90,000-square-foot ballroom. Trump has called it “the greatest of its kind ever built” and said it will be used to host large galas and state events. But the project has run into legal challenges because it was started without specific approval from Congress.
The lawsuit was filed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the nation’s leading historic preservation group. They argued that the White House is a national landmark and that major structural changes require congressional authorization. A federal district judge, Richard Leon, agreed this spring and issued a preliminary injunction blocking above-ground construction, while allowing underground work to continue.
That decision was upheld on August 7 by a 2-1 panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. The majority wrote that “whether or not a massive ballroom should be constructed is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for executive self-help.” They also said Congress has not given the president “unfettered authority to dramatically redesign, reshape, and reconstruct the White House to fit a particular president’s desires.” The appeals court paused its ruling for 14 days to let the administration appeal to the Supreme Court.
In its filing to the high court, the Justice Department framed the ballroom as a national security necessity. Lawyers cited recent assassination attempts against Trump and other threats, calling the project “an integrated military complex, including a totally secure ballroom space, at the East Wing of the White House, which is vitally required by national security.” They argued that an injunction would wrongfully put a single district judge in charge of deciding what is “strictly necessary” to protect the president.
Trump echoed that argument on Truth Social, describing the structure as a “military center” and saying the halt would be “a National Security Threat at the highest level.” He also pointed to the addition of an underground bunker, bomb shelters, medical facilities, and other security features that are being built beneath the ballroom. The administration told the court that construction is already about 65% complete and that major design changes are no longer feasible.
The Supreme Court’s administrative stay does not decide the case on its merits. A spokesperson for the National Trust said as much, noting “this is not a final decision on the merits of the government’s stay application, and we await further action.” The stay simply prevents the appeals court order from taking effect while the justices consider whether to grant a longer pause and eventually hear a full appeal.
The legal question at stake is about presidential power versus congressional authority. Lower courts have said that because the White House belongs to the American people, a president who is a “temporary tenant, not the owner” cannot unilaterally reshape it. The administration counters that security decisions for the president’s home and office should not require a district court’s architectural approval, and that waiting for Congress would leave critical protections incomplete.
Politically, the ballroom has become one of Trump’s signature building projects in Washington. It is part of a broader effort to reshape parts of the capital’s government landscape. The timeline put forward by the White House aims for completion by summer 2028, a few months before the end of Trump’s second term. If the Supreme Court ultimately sides with the administration, work could continue uninterrupted. If not, the project would need congressional approval, which could be difficult especially if Democrats gain control of either chamber in the November midterms.
Public reaction has been mixed. A recent CNN poll found 58% of Americans said they were dissatisfied or angry about Trump’s DC projects, including the ballroom and renovations at the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. Meanwhile, administration officials say they are confident about their legal position. For now, the stay means cranes and crews can keep working on the site while the Supreme Court decides whether to take up the broader constitutional fight over who gets the final say over the “People’s House.
