DHQ
Susan Abayomi
The Defence Headquarters has pushed back against claims of a terrorist foothold in Nigeria’s South-West, stating that intelligence does not support the existence of any permanent base in the region’s forests or hinterlands. Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, said the recent attack on schools in Oyo State was an isolated criminal incident rather than evidence of an entrenched insurgent structure. His comments were issued on Tuesday in response to growing public concern and media reports suggesting that armed groups had established operational camps in the zone.
The attack that triggered the statement occurred in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where gunmen targeted Baptist Nursery and Primary School Yawota, Community Grammar School Esiele, and LA Primary School. Two people were killed during the raids, and at least 45 schoolchildren along with a principal and several teachers were abducted. One of the abducted teachers was later killed in captivity, an incident the military described as reprehensible and a direct assault on the safety of Nigerian children.
According to DHQ, the Armed Forces had already conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park before the school attack, which significantly weakened criminal groups operating in that corridor. Onoja said current assessments indicate that while criminal elements remain active, they do not constitute a structured or permanent terrorist presence. He stressed that the situation in Oyo should not be framed as the emergence of a new insurgent front in the South-West.
Troops have since made contact with the abductors and are maintaining pursuit operations across forest corridors believed to be used as escape routes. The military said joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes are ongoing to locate the victims and flush out the perpetrators. The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, extended condolences to the government and people of Oyo State and assured families that every available resource is being deployed to secure the unconditional release of those abducted.
DHQ’s statement also included a direct appeal to the public to avoid spreading unverified claims that could cause panic or inadvertently boost the morale of criminal groups. Onoja warned that overstating the capabilities of these gangs risks creating unnecessary fear and distracting from ongoing operations. He urged Nigerians to remain calm, united, and supportive of security forces while providing credible information that could aid the rescue effort.
The military framed its response as both operational and communicative, seeking to reassure residents that the South-West is not facing the kind of entrenched insurgency seen in parts of the North-East and North-West. By highlighting previous clearance actions and current pursuit operations, DHQ aimed to show that the incident is being treated with urgency but does not reflect a broader collapse of security in the region. The distinction matters for public perception and for how resources are allocated going forward.
Families of the victims remain in distress as rescue efforts continue, with local communities in Oriire LGA calling for faster intervention and more visible security presence around schools. The attack has renewed debate over the vulnerability of rural schools and the need for better coordination between federal forces, state governments, and community vigilante groups. DHQ said it is working through those channels to close gaps and prevent a repeat of the incident.
For now, the Defence Headquarters maintains that the Oyo attack was the work of criminal elements exploiting forest cover, not an organised terrorist cell with a permanent base. The military’s position is that the full weight of its operational capacity is being brought to bear, and it expects to secure the release of the abducted children and staff. Whether that outcome materializes quickly will shape how much confidence Nigerians have in the claim that the South-West remains free of entrenched terrorist structures.
