President Tinubu
Olamilekan Abayomi
The Presidency has moved to shut down a viral claim that President Bola Tinubu is planning to rename Nigeria and abolish Sharia law through constitutional amendments. In a statement issued on May 21, 2026, presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga described the report as entirely false and politically motivated. The story had circulated widely on social media, alleging that Tinubu was preparing to send a bill to the National Assembly that would change the country’s name to the “United States of Nigeria” and remove Sharia law from northern states.
Onanuga said the report relied on unnamed sources and was part of a deliberate effort to stir political unrest ahead of the 2027 general elections. He accused unnamed politicians of fabricating the story to create disaffection, heat up the polity, and destabilize the country. According to him, those behind the claim are agents of destabilisation who thrive on misinformation and public distrust. The Presidency urged Nigerians to disregard the report in its entirety and avoid spreading unverified claims that could deepen divisions.
The statement also addressed another part of the viral post, which claimed Tinubu intended to transmit a constitutional amendment bill code-named “Project True Federation” to the National Assembly before December 15. Onanuga dismissed this as false, saying no such bill exists and the president has no plan to send it. He noted that the timing suggested in the report was suspicious, coming just weeks before the elections, and was clearly designed to inflame tensions.
Onanuga emphasized that constitutional amendments in Nigeria follow a strict legal and legislative process that cannot be carried out on the president’s whim. He explained that any change to the constitution requires extensive scrutiny, debate, and approval by at least two-thirds of both chambers of the National Assembly. Beyond that, the amendment must also be ratified by a minimum of 24 State Houses of Assembly before it can take effect. This structure, he said, makes it impossible for a single officeholder to unilaterally alter the country’s name or legal framework.
The Presidency’s response comes amid heightened political activity and increased circulation of unverified reports online as the 2027 elections approach. Officials have repeatedly warned that fake news and manipulated narratives are being used to create fear, deepen ethnic and religious fault lines, and distract from governance issues. Onanuga’s statement framed the viral report as one of such attempts, aimed at eroding public confidence in the administration.
He reiterated that President Tinubu remains focused on implementing the economic reforms introduced since 2023 and consolidating the gains so far. The administration, he said, is prioritizing measures to stabilize the economy, attract investment, and deliver tangible benefits to citizens. Diverting attention to fabricated constitutional plots, he argued, does not serve the public interest and only benefits those who gain from political chaos.
The denial was quickly picked up by other outlets, including Punch and The Cable, which reported the same statement from the Presidency. In each case, the message was consistent: there is no truth to the claim that Tinubu is seeking to rename the country or abolish Sharia law, and Nigerians should treat the story as fake news. The Presidency also advised citizens to verify information from official channels before sharing it further.
By issuing the rebuttal, the Presidency sought to close off a line of speculation that could have been used to mobilize opposition along regional and religious lines. With the election cycle drawing closer, officials appear keen to prevent misinformation from shaping public perception. The statement ended with a call for vigilance, urging Nigerians to remain cautious of politically motivated content designed to provoke unrest rather than inform.
